an audio glutton

Welcome! This is my project to finally listen to all of the songs in my library and stop being a punk. Hopefully we can find some good, interesting music. Well, at least interesting music.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 10: Ecstasy and Hooves (or: No, this isn't an Equus reference)

I had another drive by Zappa - Don't Eat The Yellow Snow. Thanks, Frank. You're a pal.
Yo-Yo Ma was on the agenda today and his album Appalachian Journey. I hadn't taken the time to actually listen to him. Of course he's fantastic, but I never gave him a chance. I wish that it had been just him, as it quickly meandered into banal, 50 year old car music as soon as someone started singing over him. He was followed up by Guns n' Roses and XTC. XTC would be another band whose name had been thrown around in front me, but I had yet to jump on board.


We're All Light is an enjoyable, straightforward tune. Its like someone put a movie montage in my head of two young high school sweethearts finally confessing their love to each other.

After XTC I had the chance to namedrop Deerhoof, a funky, electrically souped-up quartet that mixes weird patterning with more traditional rock elements. I enjoyed their lighthearted, yet attention-grabbing song Flower.


This awesome percussion riff busts out into something waltz-like and twitchy, with chords wavering in the background. They play with creating several different beat-based "feels," sliding between rhythms that are in three and in two. What I really enjoy about this song is that it shows the band willing to treat the vocals as just another instrument. I'd also recommend Sealed With A Kiss if you like what you heard above.

Music left: 166.93gb

Cheers,
Bodhisvaha

No comments:

Post a Comment