an audio glutton

Welcome! This is my project to finally listen to all of the songs in my library and stop being a punk. Hopefully we can find some good, interesting music. Well, at least interesting music.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 16: New letter, new terror

I officially started listening to albums that start with B today! This means that I have now listened to every single album in my collection whose name begins with the letter A. The letter A ended quietly with Ben Lee's Awake is the New Sleep. I really got the feeling that he wants to be Bob Dylan, as he relies on that lilting and melodic way of talking through songs that is the essence of any Dylan caricature today.

The letter B was inaugurated with an assortment of b-sides and rarities split between Bad Religion and Cake.


Bad Religion's got some fun in it, but it sat on the side of being too rough to want to listen to all the time. Of course, these tracks aren't their most refined representation. They've done a lot of Christmas songs, for whatever reason.

After them I got to indulge in some Infected Mushroom. They achieve a nice spacey quality in their music while still generating interesting rhythms (I'm looking at you, Eno).
However, my libraries sick sense of humor had to drop in...


I think my ears just fused together into a giant vagina. For extra laughs, skip ahead to 2:55 in the track where whoever is singing busts out into the most painful, stilted attempt at ad lib I've had to experience yet in my short life. Who do I know that actually listens to B*Witched? They mercifully broke up (the Sisters of Fate spared our universe) in 2002. All of this has been given to me by this past summer at the earliest (for those who don't know, my hard drive crashed over the summer, so I ran around reconstructing my collection from  my friends). I have to ask: Who actually intended to keep this shit?


This might beg the question: why did I listen to it? I guess you could call it some antiquated sense of "doing it right." It seems like cheating to delete an artist or album right before I have to listen to them because I assume I won't like them. That kind of defeats the purpose of this whole project. Besides, now I can say things with personal authority like B*Witched is the musical equivalent of a tampon dipped in the glitter jar at school and stapled to Hello Kitty's forehead.

Fortunately, Sigur Ros dropped in to save the day with their Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do, an unsurprisingly enjoyable EP. Next came Bowie's Baal and an actual album in its entirety by Zappa: Baby Snakes. Dude, that guy is strange. I mean, I knew that he was strange beforehand from friends who like him. But damn.

Music left: 163.52gb

Cheers,
Bodhisvaha

No comments:

Post a Comment