an audio glutton

Welcome! This is my project to finally listen to all of the songs in my library and stop being a punk. Hopefully we can find some good, interesting music. Well, at least interesting music.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Day 9: The Sly Tribe

First off, let me say Happy New Year! Betty White survived, the Beast did not awaken, and I survived my hangover. Hallelujah. I took a day or two break from this saucy music business for the Janusian festivities, so I have no time to lose!

I had the pleasure of revisiting Hiromi Uehara to start things off. She makes incredibly enjoyable work. What makes it so unique is that she comes at music-making from the perspective of a dedicated pianist. The piano is her instrument. With this as her starting point she manages to keep her work fresh and diverse in its tone. At the risk of sounding like lame weather music, the drums and other instruments she incorporates only serve as solid framework for her intense, artistic vision.


After that was the cringe-inducing CKY (formerly Camp Kill Yourself). All of the music off their album An Answer Can Be Found awkwardly vacillated between cheesy, uplifting rhymes and trite attempts at lyrical depth and anguish. Its nerdy, white-kid, feel-bad-about- yourself rock, and its nauseating. However, I felt a lot better with The Monkeys! Fortunately, my playlist still had a good twist to keep things weird:

This is what the beginning of a strange hour looks like.

That would be two anthologies, one for Sly & the Family Stone, one for Tribe Called Quest, intertwined into a schizophrenic mash-up. Is it because they're black, iTunes? Is that why? You racist pig. This was the one coupling that really did it for me:



Followed by:


lolwut?

Music left: 167.52gb

Cheers,
Bodhisvaha

No comments:

Post a Comment