an audio glutton

Welcome! This is my project to finally listen to all of the songs in my library and stop being a punk. Hopefully we can find some good, interesting music. Well, at least interesting music.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Day 2: The karma of not knowing what's in your music library.

The whiplash this kind of listening style is creating is taking some adjusting. From Smashing Pumpkins to Tool to, well... you'll find out. But first, I realized I hadn't explained how I'm actually doing this. How do I know whether I've listened to a song already or whether its part of the tiny sliver of files I've listened to? To fix this I created a smart playlist in iTunes that indexes any files which have a play count less than 1. The only drawback is that any tracks that I haven't listened to since the last time I lost my collection (which would be this past summer) will count as as never-listens. Oh well.

The first track I'd like to bring to you is by Savoire Adore, A Home, A House, A Hearth:

A Home, a House, a Hearth

Funky and glitchy in all the right places. A child of Cantora Records, Savoire Adore can call acts like MGMT and Of Montreal siblings. This pleasant electric wonderland didn't last forever, though, and I was in no way prepared for this.


Lolwut? Antony and the Johnsons cover Bey's Crazy in Love? I can't say that I'm terribly familiar with dear Antony, and now I think I might have an idea why.

But it gets better. I'm just here, innocently browsing this or that subreddit (Sarah has made me a hopeless addict), listening to hip-hop followed by Tool, and then the unthinkable happens:


Savage Garden. A whole fucking album of it. To show my disdain I intentionally chose a fan-made Star Wars piece from "my friend's LiveJournal." The karma of not knowing what's in your music collection is that Savage Garden can ambush you without warning. The album just finished, so I'm gonna call it a night.

Music left: 172.46gb

Cheers,

Bodhisvaha


No comments:

Post a Comment