an audio glutton

Welcome! This is my project to finally listen to all of the songs in my library and stop being a punk. Hopefully we can find some good, interesting music. Well, at least interesting music.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Day 6: Jesus Christ Brian Eno sucks ass.

Jesus Christ Brian Eno sucks ass. I just finished lurching through his unfortunate Ambient Music I (Music for Airports). I didn't realize just how pretentious vague droning could sound. Not just droning. Ten minutes of droning for a song. I guess this is the karma I receive for indulging in some Steve Reich earlier and getting a kick out of Clapping Music.

Fortunately, today's listening was pretty solid. I started things off with Mott the Hoople (who you may recall did Ready for Love/After Lights), followed by the amusingly mediocre George Harrison solo album All Things Must Pass. Somehow his backup group chanting "Hare Krishna/ Krishna Krishna" just came off as contrived in My Sweet Lord. After some obnoxious All-American Rejects (I think I haven't deleted them out of morbid fascination) and a one-off from Zappa (He's So Gay) I had my chance with The National. Oh, Ohio, why do you seem to give me such good music? Black Keys and the Yeah Yeah Yeah's? Anyhoo, here's a track:


Secret Meeting lays out a mellow soundscape built, quite elegantly, off of two intervals on the guitar. Some steady drumwork keeps it from dazing off into dreaded Eno-boring territory.

I traipse across the country with They Might Be Giants and their album Almanac, and get to revisit an old flame of mine, The Prodigy. My first introduction to them was in high school and my friend James. Having just escaped the purgatory of Cascada-esque techno and a loop of Pictures at an Exhibition (I'm weird; it was middle school. Don't judge.), the quirky electronic slithers and zips from the Brit trio helped open my techno-encrusted  eyes to the vistas of musical possibility outside of the increasingly scratched mix CD's I had received years ago. In honor of The Prodigy I'd like to present this Medusa's Path:


Yum.

Music left: 170.58gb.

Cheers,
Bodhisvaha

No comments:

Post a Comment