an audio glutton

Welcome! This is my project to finally listen to all of the songs in my library and stop being a punk. Hopefully we can find some good, interesting music. Well, at least interesting music.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day 5: An Explosive Problem

I had another amusing pairing, although it wasn't back to back like Bowie and Aladdin. I wandered into Flogging Mollies and their Delilah, followed by Plain White T's and Hey There, Delilah. I also had a strange run in with Kelly Clarkson. I'm not quite sure who gave her to me at what point in time, so please don't judge to much. It felt like cheating at this point to delete her from the library without at least listening to her once. After all that, though, I found Explosions in the Sky and The Slip.

I know Explosions in the Sky. I enjoy their paced, irresistible climaxes and rolling instrumentals. Its just that when I'm trying to power through a bunch of music their pieces are long. Jesus they're long. The Slip doesn't get off the hook on this either. Fortunately, the music's gorgeous. I had a double up in the form of Aliveacoustic and Aliveelectric. Check it out. I seem to be unable to find a video of the song I wanted to show you, so please listen to Song by The Slip off Aliveacoustic. it demonstrates some interesting Middle Eastern themes not present in the earlier tracks of the album. Plus there's a great hand-clapping section from the audience (its called Alive, afterall - but still great audio) where they begin to stack hemiola on three/four and two/four.

I'll just have to settle with showing you this awesome piece by Yeasayers! Its called Sunrise, and it can be found in the album All Hour Cymbals.


It starts things off somewhat brooding with minor tonality and an unstable stacking of polyrhythmic drums, claps, and sustained choral chords. Yeasayers transition this energy into something urgent, with accentuated percussion and sliding electric. Yum. I'm in the middle of Lazlo Bane's All the Time in the World (you know him from the opening of Scrubs), and I'll report on him tomorrow.

Music left: 171.26gb

Cheers,
Bodhisvaha


No comments:

Post a Comment