an audio glutton

Welcome! This is my project to finally listen to all of the songs in my library and stop being a punk. Hopefully we can find some good, interesting music. Well, at least interesting music.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Day 7: I should really try to develop some taste.

Today was another instance of playlist abuse magically morphing into the delightful. Or at least interesting. I got to start out with Yann Tiersen and his soundtrack for Amelie (fuck if I know the unicode for the accent ague there). His work has a great flow in its arpeggiated passages and lilting three-step, even if it gets a tad redundant movie to movie. In case you've forgotten him or just decided to ignore him for your own selfish, dastardly reasons, I'd like to share Sur le Fil:


As a side note, there are too many damn covers of Sur le Fil on youtube. Dear Cactus Christ.

Post-Tiersen I experienced Tori Amos for the first time. My response is pretty mixed. She sits a little too much on the country side of things for my first taste of her. The album in question is American Doll Posse. Things went downhill from there in the form of American Hi-Fi. Children, plug you ears. Fuck those pussy-ass bitches. Conversely, fuck those pussy ass-bitches. That was some of the whiniest stuff I've ever made myself listen to. Really, I should be trashed from all of it (I'm so drunk I'm even making bad puns). I got an unexpected surprise in the form of Johnny Cash and Personal Jesus. I really dig him doing it. His voice just has the right timbre for making me pay attention. Especially after all the tenor mediocrity before him, the nice baritone/bass was a pleasant shift.

Following him was Jim Morrison. My biggest impression from his An American Prayer was that he talked way too much. Boy should just play some music. Then, I got to enjoy this:


Yum. Radiohead. Kind-of-yum. Amnesiac. I really appreciate the stronger use of piano, which is something that kind of gets lost in his other work (especially now, what with Atoms for Peace and that business). His voice, delightfully ethereal, and a haunting chord structure that winds and twists between major and minor progressions, somehow coming full circle effortlessly. Favorite moment: when the percussion casually comes in, propping up the unstable 5/4 gate of the piano and strings. This was followed up by Amputechture from The Mars Volta. My playlist got snooty really fast it would seem. That's okay. Up next: Metallica!

Music left: 170.19gb

Cheers,
Bodhisvaha

No comments:

Post a Comment